Authentic canoeing experience on the majestic Vltava river in the southern part of Czechia
The Vltava has been one of the most beautiful rivers for canoeing in Central Europe for decades. This makes the route from Lake Lipno to České Budějovice (Budweis) via the romantic Unesco city of Český Krumlov the most navigated route in Europe. And rightly so! A canoe trip on the Vltava offers, in addition to quiet, pleasant routes, also nice rapids and exciting weirs, which are navigated or transferred depending on the water level. For nature and culture lovers, there is a lot to do on this route.
The multi-day tours start in Vyšší Brod (or Rožmberk). Daily departure possible from Vyšší Brod to Český Krumlov, Zlatá Koruna or Boršov nad Vltavou.
See three most popular choices:
Below is a detailed program of the three-day self guided tour starting in Vyšší Brod and ending in Boršov nad Vltavou (69.3 km - 3-4 days). This is the most popular choice.
Map of tour
Day 1: From Vyšší Brod to Na Pískárně campsite
Arrival in the town of Vyšší Brod (long version) or Rožmberk (short version). In the town of Vyšší Brod you can see a beautiful Gothic monastery from the 13th century before the canoe trip starts. Full of impressions of the medieval splendor, you will paddle on gently flowing water without many gears. Rožmberk Castle rises on a steep slope on the wooded route. On the way you can stop in the old village of Zátoň. A short walk through this village is worthwhile. Remains of the city wall have been preserved since the 13th century. Back on the water, you paddle for a few more hours to the Na Pískárně campsite. There you will moor. In the evening you can visit the town of Český Krumlov. It is an 8 km walk to the center.
- Overnight: camping Na Pískárně
- Distance: Long route: 21.32 km
- Distance: Short route: 13.4 km (from Rožmberk)
Day 2: From Český Krumlov to Zlatá Koruna
After a night’s sleep at the cozy campsite, you go back on the water. Today you will go to Český Krumlov again, but this time with your canoe. You now see all those buildings from a different perspective. You first paddle through many meanders in the wooded landscape. Don’t forget to greet the other canoeists! AHOI! A considerable distance further you arrive at a village that is also dominated by robust buildings: Zlatá Koruna. It is a village with a 13th century Cistercian monastery. You will have enough time to experience the atmosphere of this village, because you will spend the night at the campsite Zlatá Koruna.
- Overnight: camping in Zlatá Koruna
- Distance: 20.85 km
Day 3: From Zlatá Koruna to Boršov
Today you sail all day through the peaceful nature reserve Blanský les (Blanský forest), a sloping promontory of the Bohemian Forest. One of the most beautiful sights of this day, is the 14th century castle ruin Dívčí kámen. Not far from here is also a Celtic oppidum. On the site of a Celtic residence, only remnants of the stone walls can now be found. A few kilometers further up, there is another castle called Maškovec, but it is hardly visible anymore. The remains of this castle do offer a magnificent view of the river. You will moor at the campsite in the village of Boršov nad Vltavou.
- Overnight: none
- Distance: 16.75 km
We organize day trips and multi-day self guided canoe trips on the majestic Vltava!
What’s included and excluded?
- Rental of the canoe and associated materials (paddles, waterproof tons / bag)
- Children younger than 15 years old will be supplied with life vest (obligatory)
- Full colour river guide with all necessary details on weirs, rapids and campsites
- Info package
- Insurance against damage is included in the rental price (insurance does not apply to theft, loss and damage involving intent such as an open fire, for example)
- Transport of the equipment back to the starting point (the rented material must be returned at the endpoints indicated by us)
- Emergency hotline
- Overnight stays: there are nice campsites located directly on the river. These campsites usually have standard facilities and a restaurant / cafeteria. There is also the possibility to rent a tent with a sleeping mat from us.
- Additional materials such as water shoes, neoprene suit, pump
- There is the possibility to book luggage transport and the transfer of participants back to the starting point
- Car parking fee
VideoShow tour video
General travel informationShow general travel information
travel information in preparation